It seems that the Review Guidelines to the right are not obvious enough. Seriously,how long have I been telling people this? Okay,let’s sort this all out.
1. DO NOT send a pdf as a review item. It will NOT be reviewed but deleted.
2. DO NOT EVER send pdf “Press Releases” because if they contain images you want people to see I CANNOT take them from pdf.
3. DO NOT EVER send me review material,etc.,on a disc. There is no ******* way that anyone is going to stick a disc sent by a stranger into their computer unless they are a bit mad.
4. DO NOT EVER send me a PR and ask me to base a review on that. Are you ******** kidding?? The excuse “Oh,we’ve sent out all our review copies” will get the response “Oh,I’ve run out of all my CBO space”. You cannot be bothered then do not expect me to be.
5. At the risk of receiving a obscenities filled reply DO NOT EVER EVER tell me that I can buy review copies from you. ****** off! A couple on Indie publishers never get on CBO any more [despite their still trying] because they were promoted heavily but when I met them the review copies I was promised they asked me to buy. ***** off.
6. Never EVER think that you are going to pull as fast one on me. I’ve been reviewing for over 26 years and I know ALL the “slick tricks” which,let me tell you,after all these years may be new to you but I’ve written the book on them.
There are a few other things but my anger management advisor is still in hospital after our last session so I have to be calm…om manni pattri ooooooom.
So,all I’d add there is DO NOT criticise Archie Comics news -they are at least sending news and review material. DO NOT criticise Small Press coverage. Those books and creators are the grass roots of comics so if you don’t like it **** off.
What can you do? Firstly,whether you are an Independent comic publisher in the UK,USA or anywhere else [Europe is quite big you know] you can:
1. Send a PR concerning any conventions or events you will be attending. Photos of the event welcome.
2. Your books:send a Word Doc. PR as well as one or two jpeg images for inclusion.
3. For review send a copy of the book –NOT photocopies of pages as it will be binned.
4. ALWAYS include basic info such as cover price,page count,book size and,believe-it-or-not it can be left out quite regularly:HOW CUSTOMERS CAN BUY/ORDER COPIES!!
For the Small Press. You get treated very fairly here. You do not have to compete with DC or Marvel news [nor Image since I dumped them]. People come to CBO because they know it carries news,etc.,you won’t find on other sites.
Please do all of the above:zine events are getting more popular and the more we hear about we can promote!
Initially,or for PRs,contact me at email@example.com
For review copies,send them to:
c/o. Black Tower Books
203 Ashton Drive
Bristol BS3 2PY
Remember that CBO gets between 500-600 hits a day [which still amazes me!] so anything you send in gets seen by 3500-4200 people a week. If you don’t think that’s worth the effort then go find another site that’ll treat you fairly!
Have I covered everything? Oh,do not be afraid to say “hi” at any events you see me at. I really don’t bite unless you are a postman.
If you liked my post, feel free to subscribe to my rss feeds